When my uncle flew out for a visit last fall, we took an RV trip to Idaho. Of course, any good RV trip involves some shopping – namely, fabric shopping! We came upon a lovely local quilt shop in Rupert, Idaho. Not only was the quilt shop lovely, but the little town was just as lovely. In the window of the quilt shop was a simple but attractive masculine style quilt.
My uncle was drawn to those muted primary colors and the basic style of the blocks. I had my husband distract him while I quickly purchased the fabric – two layer cakes in “Branded” by Sweetwater. This was to be a secret Christmas present for my favorite uncle.
The quilt top went together quickly as I just stitched together 10 rows of 8 squares each. Then I added a 4 inch border around the entire quilt. I made the border using a jelly roll of Wilmington Fabrics Essential Gems in Cookie Dough.
I quilted it with a quick all over stipple stitch and I added straight line quilting on the borders.
Thank you for reading my blog and please leave a comment.
That set up was great for small projects, but I was limited in the size of quilt I could manage on that frame. So a few months ago I invested in this 10′ Continuum frame from Grace Company:
I purchased the frame through Leah Day’s Website. I live about 40 miles from the Grace Company, but it was less expensive for me to purchase it through Leah Day and have it shipped to my home, that it would have been to purchase it locally and pick it up at the warehouse. I ordered the frame on a Friday and it was delivered the following Tuesday!
I love not being so limited in the size of quilt I can sew. But first, to familiarize myself with the new set up and to practice using my new frame, I quilted this small wall hanging. It is a printed quilt panel, so no piecing (other than the borders) was involved.
I still consider myself a beginning quilter, so please don’t judge me too harshly. 😊 I stitched an all over swirl on the background, I outlined the truck then added vertical straight line quilting to the body of the truck, and I added jagged line quilting to the tree to mimic pine needles. It was a great learning process.
I used white batting because that is what I had on hand and it worked out okay, except there was a bit of batting show through on the back where the needle pierced the fabric:
I’m okay with the batting show through, since this will be hanging on a wall, and it was, after all, a practice project. But in the future, I will be certain to use dark batting with dark fabrics.
I have since completed a queen size quilt top and plan to load it onto the machine later this month.
I would love to hear your quilting experiences (domestic and longarm). Please leave me a comment below.