This pattern offers an a-line skirt with three waistband versions. I chose to make version 3, which has a straight waistband, but the skirt is cut on the bias. Since this was my muslin, I used a very inexpensive suiting fabric that I purchased on sale at my local Hancock Fabric store. I paid just under $10 for the fabric. I did not need to alter the pattern at all.
This was the first Colette pattern that I’ve used and I have to say . . . . I am hooked! I love everything about the pattern from the fit to the packaging. The pattern does not have instructions to add a lining, but that’s a really easy addition so I did put one in this skirt. I prefer to line most of my skirts.
Rather than hemming the bottom of the lining, I added lace to it and tacked it down at the front, back, and side seams. I like the feminity that the lace adds.
Here’s a picture of the how pretty the skirt hangs around the hemline. I really like how the skirt is fitted in the hips and then flares slightly toward the hemline. The concept kind of reminds me of the nice silhouette that bootcut jeans give.
I like this skirt so much that I purchased some very expensive, 4-ply, 100% silk fabric from Yellowbird Fabrics in SLC to make into a beautiful Spring garment. I plan to sew it up in either version 1 or 2 next time.